Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pillow Week: Sand Dollar Pillow Tutorial by Leslie


I was inspired by this Pottery Barn pillow for this tutorial which I instantly fell in love with. I'm ready for the summer and thought it would be great to add a beach feel to my house :)
So let's start:


Materials:
-2 17 x 17 pieces of white fabric
-beige fabric (scraps will do)
-hot glue gun
-1 button
-5 pieces of rope each 5 1/2"
- pencil
-blank piece of paper
-white thread
-sewing machine
-scissors
-poly-fil


1. Draw your sand dollar on a blank sheet of paper to create your pattern. Then cut the pattern out and place it on your beige fabric.






2. Center the sand dollar on one of your 17 x 17 pieces of white fabric and sew around the edges. You can also zig zag the sand dollar on to give it a design.



3. Take the five pieces of rope and place them on the sand dollar, creating a tear drop with each. Then hot glue each one into place like this.....




4. Hot glue the button in the center of the sand dollar. Next, draw five small tear drops in between the ropes with a pencil.



5. You will then zig zag stitch inside the lines.


This is what it should look like when its all done!



6. Time to make the pillow :) Take both pieces of white fabric and place them right sides together. Sew around with a 3/8" seam. Making sure you leave an opening to turn the pillow inside out and for stuffing!





7. Hand sew the pillow closed using a slip stitch. ALL DONE!


I heart pillows!


Hope you enjoyed our last tutorial for Pillow Week!! We had so much fun doing this. A BIG thank you to Obsessively Stitching, Samster Mommy and The Sewing Dork for doing all the beautiful pillow tutorials this week. You girls ROCK!


Lots of Pillow Love,

Leslie & Melissa

8 comments:

  1. it turned out great. soo proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pillow; it's perfect!

    Thanks for having me for Pillow Week; it's been fun checking back to see all the different pillows -- they are all so fabulous! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Cute Les ! Did you see the starfish ring pillow my mom made ? Maybe Austin will carry it down the isle for his Aunt Jen on her wedding day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pillow has me dreaming of a walk down a sandy beach! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-pottery-barn-inspired-sand-dollar-pillow/2010/04/10/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, that is so, so pretty! I found a sand dollar last week and got so excited. I hardly ever find whole ones. I just clicked over from Craft Gossip and I'm so glad I did. I would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks everyone! I love my new pillow to :) Rachel-would love for you to feature my pillow on one pretty thing. we love your site!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the spot at OnePrettyThing!! WOOO HOOOOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails